Friday, June 21, 2013

Horseradish crusted salmon with lemon tarragon butter

    Happy Friday! Today's food post is a horseradish and Panko crusted salmon. The horseradish gives such a nice flavor and the Panko has a really nice crunch. I topped this salmon with a lemon tarragon butter (which I have posted before and it is delicious!) both are very easy to make and turn out looking beautiful. This salmon goes really well with mashed sweet potato, I just sautéed green and cut up some carrot for this dinner because it felt lighter for the summer. 
    First I spead some Panko out on a plate and crush it up with the back of a spoon, this makes it finer and it sticks to the fish better. 
    Next I take the horseradish and put almost half the jar on a few pieces of papertowel. I want to squeeze all the juice out of the horseradish. Make sure not to get the creamy kind, it won't squeeze out the same. Squeeze it over a bowl or sink till it seems pretty dry. 
It will start to hold the imprint of your fist, then it's probably about ready. 
It should break up easily an mix right in with the Panko. 
When mixed it will be nice and fluffy, not wet at all. 
Now I pat a little coconut oil on my salmon and toss it in the horseradish mix. 
Now I heat a little coconut oil in a pan and put the salmon in
Now I can get it ready to plate and top with my butter. 

    Here's how I made the butter:
I take about a 1/4 of this butter at room temperature, it makes about 5 servings for the fish (you can always keep extra in the fridge, this butter is tasty on a lot of things)
Now I zest about 1/4 of my lemon and mince it up
Now I add that to my butter and I squeeze 1/2 of a lemon in the butter a well
Next I take a nice little bunch of tarragon and remove the leaves and chop it up, then toss it in. 
Mix it up well. The lemon juice won't all mix in but you will get some of it in there. 
You can too your fish with it room temp of throw it in the fridge to get more solid. 

    I have made these sides before in previous food Friday posts. Very simple greens sautéed with garlic. I switch up my greens all the time. Spinach, kale, chard, collards, they all work great. I like to use either coconut oil or bacon fat to sauté the greens, they both give nice flavor. Carrots I like to cook in the oven with a little oil and sea salt or kosher salt, 325 until they just start to get tender but are still crispy. They are great! 

    Here is my finished plate
The colors of the butter are beautiful, the lemon zest and tarragon really show nicely. It's always a beautiful plate with some oranges (sweet potato, carrot, butternut squash all go well) and greens!

    I hope you enjoy! Let me know what you think if you do try any of it :)

~ Janet ✌





















No comments:

Post a Comment